Skip to main content

Spotlight On Qurban

bismillah.

Today, I went to drive my mom to the market. And, as we went there, I wasn't quick enough to trail after my mom. So, I got lost finding her. Best way, I thought, is to just stand still and let her find me. The way she used to do when I got lost at Masjid Jamek 14 years ago.

And she found me.

So, as I stand there waiting, right next to the butcher counter, I watched it all settle into place. And I was gobsmacked by every little thing that happened.

I saw a male employee, constantly being scolded by 'Le Boss' in front of the customers. The others didn't turn to care, just wanting him to get the job done. I saw him being taunted, kicked, and bossed around non-stop. Like everything he did was wrong. It was also wrong for him to hone his knife. I can feel his frustration. Cause I've been there.

I saw 'Le Boss', raising his voice up to scold his employees. I saw him kicking his employee in the butt just to make a statement. I saw him sitting behind the counter, smoking a cigar and watching. His eyes were hunting his employees' faults. Scary AND bossy.

I saw a woman. Hijabbed, she went everywhere, halting everyone for some money. She can't speak Malay nor English. She made hand gestures as if she wants money for something to eat. As I stand there, I watched how people reacted to her presence. A girl, holding a large purse, ignored her completely, yet the woman stayed beside her, hoping for some change inside that purse. She paid an amount of money to the stall, yet gave none to her. Another old woman, gave her a dollar. A man, gave her a dollar. Two other men said no and waived her. And the cycle continues.

As I was driving out, I saw a homeless guy at the sidewalk. He just woke up. I saw, not far from his 'bed', a 'home' made of cloths and cardboards. There are some of his stuffs there, and he was right about folding his blanket.

Wow. Tomorrow's the day of Eidul Adha, yet still, some people refuses to sacrifice their wealth and good life to help others in need.

It reminded me on a fiery conversation I had last Tuesday with a so-called cab driver. He was talking politics and religion. And he was bragging about how the government had helped the people tremendously.
I stopped him there, and as I stepped out from the cab, I said to him, "Don't lie. I don't believe that the minister is totally taking care of everyone. You think that being in a boarding school helps? You have no idea what I have to go through. So don't tell me that the government is fair,"
He responded by telling me how ungrateful I was for not accepting what the government did, and went on telling me his story on how he had it all, then got sick. But he was never ungrateful. And he kept telling me that I was ungrateful.

Well, pakcik. If the ministers really care, there won't be homeless people. They will stop developing the nation, and start developing the people. Stop bribing the people with money, and educate the people to keep striving for the better.
But, this is only a mere opinion. I might get pounded for writing this, but I stand firm with my rights to speak.

It wouldn't be this way if the caliph was here. Yet, it will be so disappointing if the Prophet SAW is with us, and see all.. this.

Yet, I believe Allah led me here so I can make a change. To learn. And not to judge based on what I see.

The butcher I saw was a hard worker. He didn't mind being kicked on, as long as he has a decent wage, and does his job.

The employer was strict but nice. He offered me a chair as I was standing too long beside his counter. He was adamant that the employees do their job properly, yet guides them to what they need to do to finish the job nicely.

The woman let her ego down and didn't actually beg. She was actually selling tissues. She smiled all the way, and did not force people to give her money, but asked nicely.

The homeless man was physically capable to do work. He set out his 'home' nicely on the pavement. Yet, I think, if only he had been given a chance, or he made an effort on it, he might get a decent job, and will be able to lead a better life.

Tomorrow's the day of Eidul Adha, in commemoration of the sacrifice Prophet Ibraheem had to make for Allah-slaughtering his own son, Ishmael.
Ibraheem was told by Allah that he needs to sacrifice his son, Ishmael. Ibraheem was worried, on how Ishmael would handle the news. Yet, as he meet Ishmael to deliver the message, Ishmael said to his father,
do it, father. I am not afraid.
I believe you will find me patient.

And as Ibraheem was ready to sacrifice Ishmael, Allah gave him an animal in exchange for his son, Ishmael. Because of their willingness to follow what Allah told them, Allah granted Ibraheem, a place on the lips of Prophet Muhammad's people.

We celebrate tomorrow, usually in a feast of food. But what have we REALLY sacrificed on?


Salam eidul adha to all my brothers and sisters.
May tomorrow be a day to remember how it all began
not to just celebrate it as tradition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maafkan Aku, Sahabat Setia

bismillah. sepanjang hari semua rasa tak kena. hati bergetar hebat, tahan macam-macam perasaan yang beribut dalam dada. tenang! tenang please! hati merintih tapi tiada apa yang terkesan. menangis. petang, banyak sangat yang mengganggu. baru sahaja kelmarin aku luahkan beban dalam jiwa. ringan sedikit.  mungkin. tapi hari ni, ahh~ bagai ombak menghempas pantai. menderu hebat membelah tepian. dan aku kembali terluka. sesal menebal dalam diri. menangis lagi. entah ke berapa kali. puas melukis senyuman di wajah yang sudah pun basah dengan air mata. tapi mata tak bisa tipu. perit itu terbias juga. dan air mata berjurai lagi. menyesal. dan aku putuskan semuanya dengan manusia lain. putuskan urat simpati yang aku ikat dari untaian kata-kata dari bibirku. air mata terus jatuh. musnahlah kepercayaan. 'it didn't work. telling didn't work. i don't feel better. this has to stop.' ceritera aku kembali aku simpan dalam peti rahsia. rah

It's The End of The Race

bismillah. It's the night of 29th Ramadhan. The race is at its end. And how do I feel about it? Sad. Deeply, extremely sad. I hardly meet Ramadhan. Once a year. And for many years, I spent the days Ramadhan was here by just letting it pass by. This is one of the years where I truly devote myself in meeting Ramadhan, yet I feel it didn't change me. I didn't change. My fingers are literally trembling of the fact that.. I might not even see Ramadhan again. I am so overwhelmed. My heart is almost bursting of sadness. I might finish this race, but I don't know if I'm winning. And for the times I tried, well, He's the Only One to judge me. And I pray that this month has made me stronger within. Probably. Maybe. InshaAllah This is my last night with Ramadhan insyaAllah. I hope this possibly last date will last a lifetime. Cause I don't know if I have that long. I might not even see tomorrow. Or even finish my date tonigh

Happy Birthday To Me! Is it?

Bismillah. 20 April 2012 Hari ni ada BBQ Muslimah kat Masjid BBST. Seronok. Hari ni, body dan roh dapat makanan masing-masing alhamdulillah. :) Malam kami makan tu, makan ramai-ramai dalam dulang. Best woo! Tiba-tiba, sorang akak ni seru, "Attention! Akak nak panggil dua orang ni, sebab dorang ada buat salah dengan akak," then nama mereka pun disebut. Tipikal. Biasa waktu program-program macam ni, kalau ada yang cakap macam tu mesti nak sambut befday. Semua orang bergembira, happy, bergelak ketawa. Buat sesiapa yang tak dapat rasa ke-best-an makan dalam dulang ni, sila rasainya sendiri ya :) Tiba-tiba, tengah akak-akak yang 'bersalah' tu dipanggil ke depan, sorang buah hati saya jerit dari depan (saya makan kat belakang) Dia (1) : Azneen! Azneen! Cepat pergi depan ni! Saya : Hah? Buat ape? Dia (1) : Eleh, buat-buat tak tahu pulak. (sengih lebar) Saya pun buat-buat tak tahu, dan terus nyanyi. (wah, nyanyi kat masjid tu. tak senonoh betu